View Single Post
Old 09-13-2019, 02:13 AM   #491
HO455
Post Whore

Re: Working Man's Burbon

More photos of the angle piece that goes across the back. Unfortunately mine is in less than optimal condition, so I will have to figure something out. Replace or possibly repair it. As of yet I have been unable to remove any of the bolts through it. But i m hoping that soaking in penetrating oil overnight will solve that issue.

About 2/3's of the bolts loosened and then spun in the square hole. This meant I had to hold them on top and turn them from below. After trying several different ideas I ended up grabbing the head from the top with a pair of Vice Grips. I then used a sheet rock style screw to screw the Vice Grips to the floor to keep them from spinning. (Photo #3) Having a helper would have made this much easier and faster. I also found that using an impact on the nut would cause the bolt to slip out of the Vice Grip, but using a ratchet instead allowed me to either unscrew the nut or twist the bolt in two.
I kind of cheated on the rear support channel bolts as the air compressor and tank are in the way. I used a hole saw to cut the wood around the bolt away so I can remove the rest of the wood and then deal with those bolts from above. I used a wood jig to hold the hole saw in place as I removed the pilot bit from the hole saw so it wouldn't hit the bolt. (Photo #4)
I started by removing the spare tire well. The most difficult part of this was making sure that I didn't strip any of the captured nuts. (Photo #5 the bolts through the circular side of the wheel well go to the hidden nuts) These nuts are not accessible short of cutting a hole in the quarter panel. I loosened them a half turn then shot them with penetrating oil then turned them back in to get oil through to the nut. A slow process but no nuts were stripped. The six Phillips head screws were particularly a pain as the head stripped out on three of them. The one in the bottom with no access to the nut was the last one I did and was expecting a real fight to get it out but it seemed like it was crossthreaded when it was installed and it fell out after a 1/2 turn. Hopefully it won't come back and haunt me later.
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote