View Single Post
Old 09-14-2019, 10:11 PM   #9
toolboxchev

Re: Windshield Butyl Sealant

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
OK, this is interesting. I've been thinking about the leak around my windshield and was contemplating removing the windshield so I can put RTV on the metal all around the opening, and then put the windshield back in. So it sounds like that would be incorrect, and since my windshield is in all I have to do is add this goo right now.

You see how toolboxchev has that stainless trim in the gasket? I have that too. For this procedure should that be removed?

Does that pump screw right onto the can?

What is the cleanup like for the pump?
Ok, I did the unthinkable years ago. Had to fix it. Will post the link update. So I believe Grumpy Old Man advised me to use the non-curing butyl 6-8 inches in the top, around the corner, and down the pillars.

My truck had a huge gap inside the pillars, years ago I put some silicone in there, what a mistake, had ripped it out a couple of years ago. That was before I found this site so never you mind. I filled the gap with the non-curing butyl. FUN! Freaking FUN AND MORE PAPER TOWELS. We did have to use the Blue Windshield Tool in the above post to get the gasket opened up.

Ok broke out the 3M masking tape after cleanup. Yes, the stuff in the can went all the way around. It will bond to the metal and rubber. I still made a mess but the tape is a big help. I had that stuff oozing out everywhere. If I had been more careful and frugal that would not have been an issue. Had I done this before I would have taped the entire opening just inside the rubber gasket before putting in the windshield. Nobody told me everything you run into when doing this just as an install without all the extra problems I encountered.

I AM SICK OF A LEAKING CAB.

Cleanup on the pump took longer than squirting that sealant in. Tried Acetone. Eh, next Laquer Thinner, sure it squirted clean but I was not satisfied.

Broke out the Xylene, that killed it. The nice thing about the pump, it comes apart rather quickly with little to no mishap. A couple of springs and a ball check valve in there so don't lose them.

See this thread for a reference for the windshield install, Sealing the daily drivers is not something for the everyday Window Guy for sure. Last post:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=484773&page=6

Last edited by toolboxchev; 09-14-2019 at 10:17 PM.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote