Thread: TA_C10: Stage 1
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2019, 02:32 AM   #344
TA_C10

Re: TA_C10: Stage 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerstone View Post
Tell me about your pool noodle driveshaft... I presume you have a dowel rod in it to keep it straight? I don't want to order my driveshaft until I have the cab and bed mounted so the angles are closer to ride height. What do you plan to do your driveshaft?
The noodle has a broom handle in it. I use it to mock up my driveshaft while I built my H-pipe. I thought about a single shaft at one point too.

I've been thinking about what to do with driveshaft for months now. And I have decided for now I will keep my current 2 piece shaft and simply shorten the front section and have the it prepped with new u-joints. Rear shaft gets new u-joints as well. I'm keeping the existing carrier bearing as well.

The reason I ended up here is money. This is my cheapest solution and it should be just fine for a while as a daily driver. So now let me tell you what I really want to do.

Truck is a long bed, so I'm keeping two shafts. I want that rear slip shaft from Denny's plus their upgraded carrier bearing. It's billet aluminum with poly instead of rubber. Built for racing. Then I want to upgrade the front shaft to larger diameter to match the rear from Denny's. So it's a slip shaft in rear, slip shaft in front. Super strong and very flexible for suspension travel making a smooth ride and long lasting.

If I got a single shaft I would want an upgrade in diameter which would really be a heavy shaft unless I went aluminum. Not to mention expensive. I think the 2 piece upgrade will end up costing pretty close to same so I will probably go that route in my stage 2 when I rebuild the LS and throw a bunch of speed parts at it.

"It's only money".
TA_C10 is offline   Reply With Quote