View Single Post
Old 09-16-2019, 12:34 AM   #517
HO455
Post Whore

Re: Working Man's Burbon

Last winter I made these shock mounts to relocate the shocks. (Photo #1)
I would like to thank member Lakeroadster for the thread on them.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=451200

They are not done yet. (No holes) When I mocked them up and I found that the notch where the shock mounting ring goes needs to be deeper to maintain clearance between the shock and the axle. I will lose a bit of vertical but it's better than having to dent the shock to install it.
One of the benefits of the air ride suspension is it is very easy to travel the suspension to check these things out. During the clearance checks with the bags aired out I measured from the lower shock bolt to where the new upper mount hole will be to get compressed shock length. The stock shocks are to long. My new measurement is 12.25 inches. I believe the factory shocks are 14 inches.
After several hours of research I have located what I think will be a good replacement shock. 1963 through 1973 Jeep Wagoner rear shocks are 11.25 compressed and 17.75 extended. Plus they are from a comparable vehicle. That would give me one inch of room for the bumpstop to compress before the shock bottomed out internally. Peace of mind for me as I'm pretty sure that once the wood and the second row seats and the spare tire are installed the bumpstop will compress more than it did today.
Jeep CJ5's and 7's front shocks would be a slightly longer shock with a 11.6 compressed and 18.1 extended length, but they would be valved for the heavier front end. They maybe a good choice if I find the Wagoner shocks to soft.
As a side note there are some differences in shock lengths for specific vehicle applications between different manufacturers. Especially in the aftermarket upgrade shocks. Rancho shocks in particular I found have compressed lengths that are longer by at least an inch than what the OE shocks are listed as.
As much as I would like to bolt the shocks in from above before the floor gets installed it is probably a good idea to wait and see what the compressed height will be with everything installed. At this point in life I'm pretty much out of coupons.
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377

Last edited by HO455; 09-16-2019 at 12:59 PM.
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote