View Single Post
Old 09-17-2019, 11:01 PM   #16
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Re: Rimrocker trail and Blazer Bash in Moab

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldawg142 View Post
one question, how did everything in the back of your camper do being all twisted up?
just wondering...had our fridge pop open once on a rough hill, back of the camper sorta resembled the day after a taco bonanza...

is there a 60 in your future?...
That's the FWC camper really shines and careful organization of gear helps. The camper really does not flex independently of the truck. Mainly because it has no floor and is bolted directly to the bed rails and back of the cab just like the stock top. It just don't move.

Now the gear, on the other hand, I've had multiple trips to really get a handle on where stuff needs to be. Nothing heavy higher than the floor is the main thing. Small pillows, blankets, towels go on top of the cabinet as they wedge into the space under the roof when it's down. The ARB fridge is strapped down to the floor just behind my driver seat. The pelican case with all the kitchen gear is between the fridge and the bench. Duffel bags are on the floor behind the fridge along with the camp chairs and step stool. Nothing is left on the bench as it would end up on the floor anyway.

I've also learned the cabinet doors require some kind of positive latches or else they will pop open when flexed and the contents will end up on the floor. So I use rubber t-handle latches similar to the ones used on roto-molded coolers like yeti or rtic. Same latches are on the bench to avoid the lid rattling on rough stuff.

So for us we had minimal gear movement on the entire trip. But like I said it really came with experience. Ron's camper, on the other hand, got shook up pretty hard on Hell's revenge. He said it looked like a grizzly got inside and tore it up looking for food. I warned him about it, but like I found you have to start somewhere and then refine it. He knows where not to put stuff now.

I'm odd that I like to pack stuff though. So finding the way to get all my stuff stashed is fun for me. Besides making sure it's not going to get tossed everywhere on the trail, but also for quick access when camping or needing tools. The way I'm set up now all I have to do is pull the chairs and stool out, unlock the latches and climb inside and pop the lid up. From there I can pull the cook box out and set up for cooking or just grab a beverage out of the fridge and kick back and relax. Takes about 5 minutes or less from parking to sitting in the chair with a brew. Sure beats unpacking to set up a tent and all the crap that goes with it.
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote