Thread: fake rust..
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2019, 10:58 AM   #6
theastronaut

Re: fake rust..

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC3420 View Post
What product or process was used? Thanks.
This is the paint I used from Hobby Lobby. They have a 40% off coupon you can use on it.

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Ho...Kit/p/80768611

The new sill came in black primer and the truck had spots of brown primer under the red paint, so I shot a light coat of brown primer then red paint on the new panel. I rolled up old rags and soaked them in lacquer thinner, then rolled/blotted the rag over the high spots to work through the red and expose the brown and black layers underneath. I went around the edges with the rust paint to match the surface rust on the old part. The rust activator that comes with the kit works but is really slow so I use a mix of vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, and salt instead. The rust looks too orange and bright so I reduce black paint and blot it on the rusted spots to darken it up. In those pics I hadn't added the black paint over the rusted areas yet. The red paint I used was too bright to match the rest of the truck so I mixed up reduced brown paint and lightly sprayed it over the new panel until it had the same tone.
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote