View Single Post
Old 09-23-2019, 12:58 PM   #1077
dug224

Re: Dug's 1959 Fleetside

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
...BRAKES....
Dennis: Thanks for the handy tips on my brake issue.. The last one we tried worked !!

Background: Front brakes continued to bind even after letting off of the pedal. Replaced with new calipers several months ago under warranty thinking they were seized from sitting for so long. This morning, Jim and I took the wheels off and checked all of the components. Even exercised each caliper to make sure they were working. Opened and closed the bleed valve on both fronts to no avail. Did the same at the master cylinder and got some minor relief. Took the linkage and brake pedal switch off inside the cab with no results. As a last resort and before replacing what looks like a fairly new master cylinder, we took your advice and loosened the nuts holding the master cylinder to the booster. Wheels immediately released. Re tightened them and the problem persisted. After deciding the problem had something to do with the plunger between the master cylinder and the booster, we decided to move the master cylinder forward on the booster and installed a pair of 3/32 thick washers. This corrected the problem. Added a seal to keep the inside of the booster free of water, and brakes are 100%. Don't know how this happened since all the parts I've used are meant for the Trailblazer. Maybe a bad plunger. Anyway, it was a mere 3/32" away from working.

The two washers added that solved the problem.
Name:  IMG_9275.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  28.3 KB
dug224 is offline   Reply With Quote