View Single Post
Old 09-30-2019, 11:33 PM   #542
HO455
Post Whore

Re: Working Man's Burbon

Good weather today so I got the rear angle piece drilled, countersunk, and painted. First step was to make another drill guide out of one of the old bolts to be sure I was getting a centered hole drilled in the square hole. As I marked the holes from the old piece I noticed that they are not all the same distance apart from each other. From the right the first four holes are the same distance apart. Then there is an odd distance and the last two holes are yet a different distance apart. Also the first hole on the right is not countersunk and is for a 5/16" carriage head. The first picture shows the old piece upside down on the new piece with the drill guide. The second photo shows the set up to drill the last holes. The arrow shows the index pin used to ensure everything stayed lined up as the holes were drilled.
Once marked I drilled each of the countersunk holes with a 3/16" drill and then used the countersink die I fabricated earlier. On this material the countersinks were not as crisp as before but completely acceptable to me. (Photos #3 & 4)
One side note about the countersinks is that they do cause the angle to get a slight curve to it. The last photo is supposed to illustrate that.
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote