View Single Post
Old 10-14-2019, 12:56 AM   #7
fast/cheap/right

Re: 1971 C/20 Alley Find, Back From The Dead

So, with the birth of my first boy, and the death of my 99 year old grandmother, needless to say, progress has been somewhat lacking for a bit. Not to say I havent gotten a few issues worked out.

Rebuilt the q-jet, even took the time to clean up the casting flash in the secondaries while I had it apart. My secondaries now work, and it starts beautifully after getting the idle mixture all tuned in. It also runs like a stabbed rat, or mouse rather. I need to either bend the choke coil back to the right shape so it doesnt get stuck on the housing, or replace it and the linkage. A previous owner buggered them up rather well and it and the fast idle cam are giving me a bit of a headache, but I think I know what needs to happen to fix the ills. If I cant make it better, I may give in and get an electric choke conversion from Mikes Carburetor.

I managed to fix the tail light issues after taking the signal switch assembly mostly apart and cleaning up all the contacts. The left turn signal issue was rather simple after some head scratching. I ended up using a zip tie to create a bumper where the stop had broken off, causing the switch to travel far enough to leave the contact pads. Cant beat a 5 cent fix.

I discovered the need to replace the windshield washer reservoir, and pump. I'm thinking I may leave that for a junk yard hunt and go with a more modern reservoir with integral pump from a 90s Silverado or S10.

On the free end, once my friend is done recovering the seats in his '56, hes going to give me his old blanket seat cover. Also one of my buddies at work is planning to get knobbier tires for his truck, once he does he's going to roll his take off 265/70r16s my way.
fast/cheap/right is offline   Reply With Quote