View Single Post
Old 10-15-2019, 08:01 PM   #11
sameyeam

Re: 72 Chevy K20 Wrecker restoration

Did some work on the truck last night, well actually the work started last Saturday getting the wrecker box ready to come off. Well most of the bolts came out pretty easy, the most rearward 4 however were a struggle. There were 4, 1/2 inch rusty bolts in the very end of the rear frame horns that were also inside a cross member and behind an access panel in the rear inner fender. Really a decent design but rusted hardware had taken the ease out of it. Nothing a Sawzall couldn't help. 3 hours in and I have 1 bolt out of this back end, what a pain. Well I decided to regroup and try again last night, this time I put a little heat on the hardware through a factory hole in the crossmember. Boom! out they came. So now I spun the truck around in the lift and start picking up on the box. To my surprise it slid off pretty easily. This gave me a good look at the back of the frame and I think im in pretty good shape. I was worried I was gonna have to do a frame swap worst case but I think just 1 cross member is really suffering, maybe rear shock mounts as well. Like I said before I knew about the cross member but the shock mounts were a new discovery. I think I can make something that will work for both of these but if anyone knows of cross members and or shock mounts I can possibly buy that would be great. I told Elliott now we are going to become very familiar with wire grinding wheels and wire brushes and scrapers. Another issue im not sure I mentioned is the rear springs. The truck was ordered with F60 heavy front spring and G50 heavy rear spring options. The rear springs are badly broken. I think grandpa mentioned adding springs in the late 70's because Lincolns were heavy. I am wondering what this heavy duty spring option means and where can I go to replace them. I have some research to do but you guys are good at making things like this easy so might as well ask. Anyway happy wire wheeling, that's it for now.
Attached Images

2007 Pontiac Vibe (daily)
sameyeam is offline   Reply With Quote