View Single Post
Old 10-20-2019, 03:13 PM   #471
Purcell69

Re: 1957 Chevy 3100, meet 1994 Dodge Ram 1500

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
I watched it and forgot to let you know I had a half hour haha.

I bet looking at the beginning pictures again is bittersweet, I always like to see how far it has come anyway.

Joe, I have to admit it, a 30 minute video is a bit much. From now on, I'm going to try to keep things to no more than 15 minutes. If it is more involved, I will break it down into segments.

Finding those old pictures really was bittersweet. I remember where this project was going in the early days and the two other trucks I had started with before Ethyl came along. My first 1957 was a 3800 with no bed and a rear cab wall that had clearly been the victim of lots of farm use. The metal work was beyond my skill set and nobody was making replacement rear cab walls back then. For that matter, the only replacement fenders were fiberglass.. The best you could get was a patch panel.

Later on, I found a GMC cab to use as a donor, and swapped in the Chevrolet dashboard from the first truck. It wasn't until I went to put a bed on that I realized the 3800 had been a cab and chassis and that the frame was much longer (by two feet) than the 89" bed that came with the GMC. Of course, by this time, I had spent an Arizona summer sand blasting and repainting the 3800 frame. My front yard looked like White Sands, NM.

My biggest regret is that I don't have pictures of any of this.

-Joe