View Single Post
Old 10-21-2019, 08:49 AM   #8
2 Stovebolts

Re: Advice on split rims

I got a real education on split rims...when I had the same dilemma buying tires for my C30.... Long story short... I was unable to find budd type wheels that were lug or hub centric that would be tubeless,,,I bought 1/2 dozen of 'Test' wheels with no success.. So I had no choice but to use the original split rim w/tubes.....Now the typical 'split rim' is not really the 'Widow Maker' that is a 3 piece wheel where you really need the cage....The secret is finding a commercial heavy duty tire dealer that does tractor trailer & farm tractor tires. which I had one locally...I took my wheels there, bought the tires from them 'Uniroyal Commercial' USA....they dismounted the old tires, sent the wheels out to be sandblasted & powder coated & mounted the new tires on the split rim by hand on the floor no cage.....You gotta know what your doing & they did.....Chain store tire dealers (the home depot of tire stores) do not have the knowledge, experience or personnel to do truck or commercial vehicles...They can barely do car tires....My new tires on my C30 will outlast me.....I recently bought a 67 K20 where the PO removed the original split rims & installed A/M wheels, as he said no one would even attempt to change the tires....So he bought the A/M wheels from the chain store & they discarded the original wheels....Now I'm left with the burden to find the correct wheels for my truck & get rid of the circus wheels that are on it.....Good thing they didn't carve out the dash for an A/M radio!....KEEP THE ORIGINAL WHEELS - whether you use them or not.....
2 Stovebolts is offline   Reply With Quote