View Single Post
Old 10-23-2019, 11:29 AM   #161
cruizin01

Re: '78 K20 to C10. Almost 20 years in the making.

Been a while since I've updated...

This summer I was able to put nearly 1k miles on the truck and after quite a few alternations to the tuning on the Sniper, the 396 was running pretty well. I continue to fight some small pre-warm up drive-ability stuff but overall it drives great.

But.... its slow... like not 250ci inline 6 slow but its the slowest thing in my small group of cars. It'll power brake a burnout but its pretty lethargic outside of that. Its probably around 350hp maybe? It really needs a converter but I didn't want to buy one knowing it still wasn't gonna satisfy my power craving.

Anyway, I decided to follow the hurd and build a turbo LS. I found a L33 locally for $700 with low'ish miles this summer so I went ahead and grabbed it. The L33 is an all aluminum 5.3 with flat top pistons and 799 heads. Originally rated at 310hp. This is a gen3 engine but a few guys mentioned they have the better rods maybe? Im not certain.

These past couple weeks I tore the accessories, etc off of it to get started. I flipped the manifolds just to get an idea whether I wanted to use them or buy a turbo manifold. Im not certain one way or another yet.

This is a "budget" engine build. Im just swapping the cam and valve springs and leaving everything else internally stock. Lifters probably would have been a good idea but I didn't want to pull the heads.

I order a Summit Stg2 turbo cam kit that came with TF valve springs and new valve seals. I checked the pushrod length which was good, so I reinstalled the stockers.

Since I dont have access to a TIG, I ordered a front cover with the turbo drain installed already. I have a new balancer coming (cheap) and replaced the front and rear cover, rear main seal, valley cover and lower oil pan gasket.

I hate the look of the truck intake manifold so I found these knock off of a knock off dorman intake. Im gonna shave most of the mounts, etc off the top to try and clean it up some. I bought some fuel rails to plumb a return system and a mechanical throttle to work with the Holley Terminator.

Im still in process of cleaning up the rest of the engine. I think Ill leave the block and heads alone after cleaning and maybe just paint the valve covers and accessories. I ordered a camaro water pump which moves the outlet towards the drivers side so I dont have to run a big ugly hose across the front of the truck.

Im hoping the rest of the build will come together this winter. I need to pull the bbc and the sniper and try and get it sold to fund some more turbo parts.

The goal is like 500-550 whp on pump gas.

The basics are
-VS 78/75
-80 lb snaker eaters
-budget 80e converter
-Holley Terminator X
-A/W intercooler so i dont have to hack up the front grille, etc.