View Single Post
Old 11-07-2019, 09:57 AM   #31
cebra

Re: New Gearset High Pitched Squeal

Last pattern we sent to Richmond (same shim as the last pics I posted just all bolted up). When I saw this, I didn't like the pattern as it looks too far to the outside of the ring gear vs the crappy thumb size pattern pic in the manual but Richmond said yup that is it. Drove it down the road, squeals like 1 million shrieking children...actually sounds more like a very loud, very high pitched whistle. I mean very loud as in probably the loudest single noise I have ever heard in my life. One takeaway is that the squeal has seemed to move from starting at 40mph to more like 55mph so that may change something. The shop thinks it is a bad gearset as they are up in arms, I am considering swallowing my now ~$2K I have in this and put my 3.07/GM Carrier back in, whatever work I have to do I will need to do myself now since the shop has chalked it up to a parts issue and I am 50/50 on that. In hindsight, I should have just bought a new rearend and dropped that in myself. Specs below for any rearend experts to comment:

Pinion shim - .034
Backlash - .0085
Pinion Preload - 25 in lbs
Attached Images

Last edited by cebra; 11-07-2019 at 09:59 AM. Reason: specs
cebra is offline   Reply With Quote