View Single Post
Old 11-07-2019, 03:27 PM   #57
theastronaut

Re: 1966 F100 Short Bed Styleside Metal/Body/Paint Work

Thanks for the comments! I'm currently working on fixing a '39 Ford that had an encounter with a deer, once I'm done with the fender I'll start back on the F100. I'll replace the grill with one from Alumicraft, this one is an original that's been smoothed with a lot of filler so we decided it would be best to not get into trying to fix it.

Headlight opening roughed back in.

Top of the fender lip was busted up and bulged out, after stripping it I found a pretty rough patch attempt so I ended up making a new section to weld in.

I started with a square panel and rounded the J-shaped edge over a section of straight 5/8" tube, then used the planishing hammer with a linear stretch die along the top of the outer panel to match the curve of the opening. I had to open and flatten the inside part of the lip so I could shrink the inner half of the lip to match the front-to-rear curve of the fender, then closed it back up using by hammering it over a die I made from curved 5/8" round bar. The outside was lightly domed with the planishing hammer to match overall shape of the fender.

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote