View Single Post
Old 11-13-2019, 03:10 PM   #3
dave`12

Re: Electric fuel pump question

Quote:
Originally Posted by biketopia View Post
Checked out your link, you said it was in that black box with the picture of the alternator replacement? Is this the post you're refering to http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...1&postcount=58 If so part of your problem is your pump is way to far away from your fuel tank and is above it quite a bit. Like stated before most of these pumps are pushers, not pullers so they need to be as close to, and below the fuel level as possible. If you're dead set on electric, a Holley red is probably what you want. Is there any reason a mechanical set up like stock can't be used? I would personally use a quality mechanical set up and be done with it, especially if you're not running some crazy high HP combo. I have a built 427 SBC in my 94 camaro and I played hell getting the in tank pump working with feed and return (i used a new holley sniper pump that could be regulated down for carb pressures.) When that engine comes out and goes into the truck it's getting a good mechanical pump set up.
Thanx for the replies. That is just a pic of the box for size and type. I have another box for the pump. The pump is mounted under the floorboard, passenger side, just outside the frame. I was worried about heat, the muffler is a few inches inside the frame.

Thanx for the advice on pumps. Really, I was leaning towards mechanical, but several guys told me stay electric. When I bought the used engine, the mechanical pump did not work, not sure why. I was a little hesitant to go mechanical since I thought there is a possibility that the issue is inside, rather than the fuel pump. Although the engine runs really well, I did have some issues such as a stripped flywheel bolt when I installed it, so I'm not confident that there aren't other issues I don't know about.

Of course the fuel pump on it may just have the lever not properly inserted, and could possibly work! Maybe I should check on that...