View Single Post
Old 11-15-2019, 11:14 AM   #17
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: Buyer Beware in Indiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
If the seller has the truck listed as a Cheyenne then the SPID matters. If the SPID doesn't say it's a Cheyenne then it isn't, it's a truck that someone put Cheyenne Emblems on. If it has everything put on it from a Cheyenne, then you have the same truck as a Cheyenne you can enjoy just as much, if being factory correct doesn't matter to you. And why should it matter, after all, if it was just bought to drive and enjoy? It matters to someone wanting the real deal, someone who is into these trucks more than just how they look and drive. But the reason it matters that it's not a true Cheyenne to everybody is because the seller isn't being honest. And if the seller isn't being honest about a thing that will become obvious as soon as you look at the SPID, then you should be wondering what else dishonest is going on, what else was not true that the seller claimed? It all depends on how the seller goes about it. I would buy that truck not caring about Cheyenne being on the SPID if the seller came right out and said he just added on all the Cheyenne stuff to make it cooler. I would not buy that same truck if the seller insisted it was a real Cheyenne and it wasn't listed on the SPID.

I have a '67 GMC SWB project. Guess what? It's not a '67 GMC. It is built from various years, beginning with a '71 chassis. The cab isn't '67 so the dash isn't. I have all the '67 GMC stuff to make it look like one. It's built from OEM 67-72 parts with the outside appearance of a '67 GMC. It's a lot easier to say '67 GMC than all that. But I am very forthright about what it exactly is and what it isn't. It is my creation from GM's parts in whatever year it gets completed. If I ever do go to sell it the potential buyers will have to make time to hear the truck's true story. I have 'created' a truck or two, including a 50th Anniversary SWB. When I sold that I made no mention of it being a 50th. I had knowledgeable people ask if it was and some didn't ask but assumed it was until I got to the part where I told about making it look like a 50th.

And I don't care how other people feel about it. To me a truck that is true to the SPID is still and always will be worth more than a creation. Those are certainly less desirable to me (and far more common)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=060A15ELz00

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote