Thread: S10 Swap how to
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2019, 08:18 PM   #964
skymangs

Re: S10 Swap how to

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
the 1994 S10 is a one year only s10 that still uses a round column (like the older style) and no airbag steering wheel.

I would have my doubts if the turn signal wiring would be the exact same between 1994 and 1996 but using a 1994 s10 column would still be the way I would approach it. same with the wiper wiring, but not a lot of chance of integrating that to the AD anyway. Keep in mind that the hazard and brake functions depend a lot on the wiring of the turn signal switch and column and brake switch wiring. if you plan to keep cruise, the cruise system changed in 1995, different PPM and a different cruise switch protocol too.

also, keep in mind that passlock II (the key security used in 98+ trucks) does not have a chip in the key either, just regular steel keys, cut at any hardware store. the "chip" is in the column and relies on the key being turned correctly and bumping the chip signal switch at the right position of the key turn. your 96 doesnt have that, but I wanted to say that for the future readers with a 98 column that say "well I just have a regular steel key too".

on the gauges, the battery warning light is part of the charging circuit, if you take out the old gauges you may need to jump a wire to get the alternator to charge. this is the same all the way through 2003, I usually keep the entire original cluster installed in the dash for my 1998+ swaps because if the PCM doesnt "see" the cluster it sets a check engine code.
that being said, even the pre 94 column is ugly. I do aftermarket columns all the time. If you must have cruise, a $20 eBay with wired in works fine.
skymangs is offline   Reply With Quote