Thread: 47-55.1 *Steering Wheel Centering*
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2019, 01:07 PM   #27
joedoh

Re: *Steering Wheel Centering*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippi View Post
Even though pretty much everything up front has been replace, while driving it home from the shop I still have some play in the wheel and it seems like I'm constantly correcting. I noticed the connection in the pic from the steering wheel to the steering box that there is some play. The bolt is tight but there is more play than I would think there should be. Also, the steering box is tucked way up close to the front and it's pretty much only visible from under the truck. I was looking for the adjustment. The rag joint looks good.
there is no adjustment on gm boxes except a very small adjustment for wear. it is a set screw on the top of the box.

it looks like the knuckle is about to fall apart and based on misalignment it looks like the lower bearing in your column has failed. the lower bearing is easy to replace but requires the shaft to be taken off.

it could be that the bearing failed because the linkage is exceeding the knuckles ability to correct the angle, that is a stock GM knuckle and they are only capable of about 15 degrees misalignment. you should replace the setup with borgeson u joints, which can take up to 35 degrees. in that case you would replace the setup with a u joint (knuckle) that attaches to the column, a shaft that goes to the box, and a u joint at the steering box. doing this will help with misalignment too, with a rag joint at the box ALL the misalignment has to be fixed at the knuckle.

there are cheaper u joints than borgeson but being cheap on steering (or brakes) is a stupid way to die.

edit, here is a picture of my s10 setup. I used a borgeson collapsible shaft instead of just regular D rod, and I used a 98+ column so my upper u joint is actually inside the cab. still the same setup though, replaced the GM knuckle and rag joint.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393

Last edited by joedoh; 11-22-2019 at 01:15 PM.
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote