View Single Post
Old 11-23-2019, 09:58 PM   #232
joedoh

Re: Project: Kechi AD S10 4.3 auto

thanks bill, robert, and mark!

did you know, that there are THREE DIFFERENT headliners for the 1949? Bet you thought there were only two, right?

it has to do with the mid year changes, the 47 to EARLY 49 had screw in windlace retainers and a screw in center bow. the LATE 49 to 53 had slip in windlace channel and a floating center bow. you cant put a screw in bow in a later truck, even if you wanted to, because there is not a center rib in the roof, and you cant fit the floating bow in the early truck because that center rib gets in the way.

well there were a few, just a few, mid year 49 that snuck through with a screw in center bow and slip in windlace. They make an early headliner with punched recesses for the screw in windlace and center bow, and they make a late headliner with smooth edges for the floating bow and slip in windlace.

if you have one of the mid years, your only choice is to buy an early headliner and cut the windlace edge off. this picture might be a confusing perspective but thats the top side of the headliner and those three cutouts on the top side are for the screws in the windlace retainer. the headliner wont physically fit until you cut that section back, could take a couple tries at it.

I have read a lot of how-tos on installing the headliner, most say to work it over the windshield surround trim and above the center bow and around the windlace. hogwash. I already had everything out, and that made it the easiest I have ever done. I held the back up by selfishly using two drill tip screws to hold the headliner to the center rib and then installing the center bow.

then you will need an extra pair of hands to slip the rear section in and viola!

I slipped in the windlace too, and lemmetellya, holy crap I wish I had that DAY back. the old stuff was roached and wouldnt come OUT and the new stuff was grabby and soft and wouldnt go IN.

but I am finally ready for carpet and seat! missed a deal on some parts this afternoon but a buddy got them and I may end up with the stuff he doesnt use.
Attached Images

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393

Last edited by joedoh; 11-24-2019 at 12:30 AM.
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote