View Single Post
Old 11-28-2019, 09:15 AM   #3
WIDESIDE72

Re: Cheapskate 1970 C10 LS1/4l60e swap

A few years after the purchase of the Longhorn, a friend from high school in south Texas who i was friends with on FB saw some of my truck related posts there and said he needed to clean up some land his family had for sale. He had a 68 swb stepside truck he thought i might be interested in. My dad and uncle went and looked at it and said it was too rusty to save any of the body (with the exception if the tailgate which had been replaced with a nice one from another truck). Due to this and him having no idea where the title was, he sold it to me for $200. Another FB friend saw the pics i posted if it and said he was interested in the 6cyl and 3 speed trans. I told him if he would strip the body off he could have the engine and trans. I picked the rolling chassis up a few weeks later. Since i had a few nice tailgates, I sold the one iff this truck locally for $100. Due to the fact that i had a 71/72 lwb chassis from another truck I parted, as well as a set if 15x8.5 5x5 slot mags, a 5lug swap was a given. I stripped the drum brake front crossmember and rear axle off and also got $100 locally. A little math should show a $0 total investment. I had a sandblaster near my dad look at the chassis and he talked me out of blasting it. We decided for a driver, the best (and cheapest) route was power wash the frame, clean any loose scale and use rust converter. I did so and followed with Rustoleum gloss black with hardener added. I am happy with it so far
Attached Images

WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote