View Single Post
Old 11-29-2019, 05:19 AM   #6
03BlkZ

Re: Transmission Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
If I had 3 on the tree I think I would probably keep it that way, but I think a lot of these trucks that have survived are automatic, and it turns out I got a truck with automatic. I remember driving my Dad's 74 Chevy truck with 3 on the tree and it was very trouble free. Was your transmission working fine, or having a malfunction and that's why you're thinking of overhaul? I was just imagining you could service it, perhaps replace a seal if it was leaking, and just drive it as is. Sorry, I'm not a lot of help on your post, but I would be interested in how it works out for you, so I can learn.
The transmission worked fine last time the truck was driven but that was about 20 years ago. This is actually my dads truck that he bought new in 1970 and daily drove it for 30 years and ever once touched the transmission. He estimates it to have about 350000 miles on it so I figure it's due. When I was 18 I bought my first performance car and when I did that he bought the truck I was driving from me and parked the 70. It has been sitting in his shop since. He has always wanted to fix it up but never had the time but now he is retired from a 42 year career in auto body and paint repair. We are going to split the cost of the repairs rather it is frame off or just getting it going to drive. It will remain at his house to enjoy but the title now has my name on it so this will be a great project for my dad and I to spend so time together and make some memories. There are already so many memories with this truck. As I said this is the very first vehicle I ever drove so I am a little attached. Sorry for the story!

03BlkZ is offline   Reply With Quote