View Single Post
Old 11-30-2019, 03:52 PM   #24
garyd1961

Re: 350 GM Crate Motor questions for a 66 C10

I would go with the "GM" L31, it's an awesome motor once you get it set up. You can use most of your old brackets, motor mounts, starter and such.
You will need a new Intake, the Summit brand stage 1 dual plane for around $150 works great.
You will also need a flexplate for a one piece rear main seal engine. I used Summit's SFI rated flexplate for around $80 if I remember right.
You will also need an electric fuel pump. I have been running a Holley Mighty-Mite rated for 400 hp and it has worked great. I forget the price but it wasn't very expensive.
You will also need a melonized gear on your distributor. It's a fairly cheap part and easy to swap, just drive the pin out swap the gear and reinstall the pin.
You end up with a smooth running motor that has great low end power where you need it. You also have a roller cam so no need for oil additives. At 375 ft lbs of torque down low in the rpm scale this thing will get up and go.

Edit, Another thing with the one piece rear main seal and center bolt valve covers you won't be plagued with the dreaded sbc oil leaks like the old style motors.

Last edited by garyd1961; 11-30-2019 at 04:42 PM.
garyd1961 is offline   Reply With Quote