Thread: TA_C10: Stage 1
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2019, 05:13 PM   #486
TA_C10

Re: TA_C10: Stage 1

Update - PDU Panel

I needed a power distribution panel after relocating my battery to frame and all the new LS wiring/ECM. I first saw this design on the Hulk build if I remember right. Now I see many others using the same design with good results so I'm not re-inventing the wheel here.

I planned to install the TAC module on the backside as you can see here, dotted lines. Everything else on the front. Wires will go through grommets that will route through the backside of the panel. However this isn't set in stone, If my plans are correct, I should have enough vacancy after re-working the new AAW harness to put the 9 TAC wires through the firewall bulkhead. If not, then I have to drill a hole and grommet them through the firewall elsewhere so I may as well mount the TAC under the dash if that is the case.

I have the Dakota Digital BIM module and i'm having trouble figuring out if my 2003 ECM will supply Oil, Water Temp, TACH, and SPEEDO properly. If they don't, I will have to run those wires... We shall see.

I cut my panel out of 16awg steel. I made 2 tabs left side, and drilled holes in the pillar of core support on the right. Then an afterthought came that I wanted to weld nuts on the backside of all 4 holes for easy maintenance. So the tabs on left were open and easy. But pillar on right I had to come up with a solution while keeping my existing holes I drilled.

So I made these little plates, drilled a hole in them, tack welded nuts to the backside.

Then I drilled 2 holes on either side of my preexisting mounting holes, used a long 1/4 inch threaded rod to hold the new nut plates in place while I spot welded them in place. Worked pretty good.

Here they are done and painted.

Here is my final mock-up, SS 1/4 x 20 button head allen bolts, the 2 on the bottom are extra long, 2 on top are short, remove the top bolts, and back out the bottom bolts most of the way and the panel becomes very easy to access backside.

"It's only money".
TA_C10 is offline   Reply With Quote