View Single Post
Old 12-16-2019, 07:01 AM   #13
special-K
Special Order

Re: Winter Caught Some Napping

I sit out going down the road for work because of "the others". It rather lose a days pay (which would be compromised by the conditions anyway) than risk wrecking my truck I need to work out of everyday. Back in the early-'70s when people just stayed home and before all the 4wds I'd hop in my '56 Bug and go visit people. It was great having the road to myself, or only see people that knew they could handle it.

In the '50s & '60s when I was a young kid, and even my early days of driving in the '70s, people ran chains when it snowed and everyone had a pair of chunky tread snow tires they mounted for winter. Many had 6 wheels and tires. The main roads were marked "Snow Emergency Route" stating snow tires and/or chains were required. There were always the procrastinators who waited too long and got caught on the road in the first snow. Then the rush was on at the tire stores. I also remember on bigger hills there were drums of sand laid down to shovel from. Also, where drifting would occur the county and state roads would put up snow fence. Now they just seem to count of dumping tons of metal eating ingredients to get roads clear and dry ASAP. People don't know how to sit anything out in today's 24/7/365 world. Gotta have it all and gotta have it NOW! Can't be letting the wheels of progress slow. And that's why we have Dumb Dumb Ditch Drivers. Roads are 98% clear in hours after the snow stops. That 2% will still getcha doing 80 mph like it's July

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 12-17-2019 at 06:32 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote