View Single Post
Old 12-22-2019, 05:47 PM   #229
Vic1947

Re: 57 Chevy Wagon - Californa Dreamin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by tune_1 View Post
Vic, progress is looking good, great news on your wife, have a Merry Christmas. Dwight
Thanks, Dwight, Merry Christmas to you too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsanborn View Post
Looks great! Would like to know a bit more on how you're doweling the hinges. Small roll pin at assembly?
Hey John,

Nothing too exotic. After getting the doors adjusted up/down, forward/back, and in/out, I used a 1/8" aircraft drill to make two holes in the hinge and the mating surface on the door. Removed the door and then reinstalled it loosely with the bolts. I used a couple of long, 1/8" punches to line up the holes. Took me a few minutes of working the door around to get the punches in but after I had the first one, the second was no problem. I snugged up the bolts just enough to keep the hinge and door from moving around and then removed the punches and finished tightening it up. I found if I cranked down on the bolts before removing the punches they didn't want to come out. But if you go easy at first, then tighten, it works better.

Using this approach on both the upper and lower hinges, I ended up with a nearly perfect alignment when the door closed. I had to loosen the bolts on the lower hinge and pick it up very slightly to be exactly on the money. For me, the important part was to make sure when the final assembly takes place I don't scrape the door edges or the jamb. If I can get really close on the first try, I can fine tune it from there.

I'll have to do the other end of the hinge where it goes into the jamb to make sure the in/out alignment is maintained before I remove the hinges for blasting and paint. On the truck, there wasn't quite as much room in the hinge area, unless the fenders are off. IIRC, I only drilled the half of the hinge that bolted to the cowl, then winged it with the half that bolted to the door. I've never used roll pins, but I reckon they would work.
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote