View Single Post
Old 12-23-2019, 11:24 AM   #7
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: Sbc head opinion..please chime in?

Two things I would like to add.

I would concentrate more on cam selection the head. A great cam does better with good heads vs a great heads with a good cam. A cam controls where you put power down, and how broad the power band is. Heads more so control total power. This is a rough explanation, but this is why I would choose Vortec heads with a great cam. They have 175cc runners, and with a little work can support a great street cam. For atleast what you described as your goals.

Lastly anything over 185-195cc heads on the street is a bit much for the average user. They dont effectively limit NA power at the rpm ranges most street guys build there engines to run. Or should build there engines to run. They send better vacuum signal to the carburetor or even fuel injection sensors. Which makes the engine easier to tune.

I am currently gathering parts for my 383 build with 205cc heads, and a tunnel ram. It won't be on nodding terms with DD'ing, but I dont care. I will probably be on the edge of suicide by the time it is dialed in. This will be a extreme engine since I have had to have a tunnel ram for years, and now I am preparing to do so. Due to poor engine choices I will have to run steep gears to keep velocity up so the engine will be happy cruising down the road.

You can also down load desk top dyno as this is a nice tool to gauge the range of the cam you are selecting. With the 307 gears your going to want a roller to get big torque with a broad power band.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote