View Single Post
Old 12-23-2019, 06:20 PM   #4
jesdude7789

Re: Diesel engine swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatzie View Post
If what you want is a reliable tow machine get a 2500 HD parts truck with a 6.0L LQ4. 300 hp at 4400 RPM and 360 ft-lb at 4000 RPM and it comes with a 4L80E that'll fit under the transmission tunnel. My 2005 tows just fine. Yes it only gets 13mpg and 11 towing. That's noticeably better MPG, HP, and torque than a carbureted or TBI 454 and I'd have to run an awful lot of tanks of fuel through at 18mpg to pay for a dirtymax.
I will search for this specifically and see what prices I come up with. Also a six speed automatic would be preferable so maybe a 6L80e if I can get it. Definitely do not want a tbi engine again! Mine was dependable but way too little power for a daily driver.

Diesels are trendy so the prices are outrageous. Agreed.
Cummins engines cost a pretty penny. Maybe the 4BT turbo? Would it be able to get 200 hp and 400 tq with mods? I like the idea of this because it's hundreds of pounds lighter than the 6bt and I'm not trying to have ridiculous power.
The 6.2 & 6.5L Detroit AMG Diesel engines are a minimum of 20 years old now. The dirtymax is newer but any half decent dirtymax truck is going to be more coin than a decently running LQ4 equipped 2500HD.
I just read some more information and I will have to study up on these. If they can be swapped in and the electronics can be simplified like my LS swaps then it could be a good option for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselSJ View Post
Hassle is an ambiguous term. I try to avoid using these vague terms lol.

You didn't mention what trans. You will need an overdrive if you want any economy at all. I don't know enough about what transmissions are used behind diesel trucks but I do want an automatic so 4L60e or better level of power handling and towing capacity. I'm looking to have at least 175 hp or more and 350 lb ft or more.

6.2/6.5 will bolt in...literally. But you have engine age, and the 6.5 turbo setup won't fit with factory heater box in the engine compartment. Parts are getting harder to find, but they are out there. Avoid the electronically controlled engines. I agree about the electronics but I'm not afraid of it either if the price is right and I get everything I need out of a donor.

Duramax (6.6) you can find engine mounts now from several sources. You need to be good at wiring or spend $$$ on a stand-alone harness. Used engines are coming down in price, but you are still going to spend 4-5-6K on just an engine.I enjoy wiring quite a bit actually and I know that isn't normal lol. I would spend the money on a harness anyway though because I want fresh connectors and know that there is no corrosion or hidden gremlins in the harness to deal with.

Cummins. Big, heavy, can find bolt-in mounts. Easy to wire. Need to adapt GM to Dodge for accessories, etc... Look in the diesel conversion sub forum and you will find several of these. This will probably take the most fabrication.I'm thinking 4bt turbo if I go this route. I will be reading!

That being said, I stuffed a 6.5 turbo into my Jeep Grand Wagoneer and have it built into a 275hp/550tq piece. Backed by a 700R4 that was built on a K case and has every possible upgrade installed. If I had to do it again, it would get a 4bt because of what it just cost to build a new 6.5 for it.That sounds pretty cool!

And my 87 R30 (currently 454) is going to see a Cummins some day.

One thing you didn't tell us was how you intend to use the truck? Heavy duty tow rig, well then Cummins or Duramax or get really cool and use an International DT360. If you have a half ton that you want to cruise around with and do some light duty towing, then stuff in a Cummins 4bt. I just looked a 1993 DT360 and that looks really awesome and simple. I would really love that. Also found a 1993 Caterpillar 3208N that is 210 hp v8. $4k for that one. My suburban is a 1990 R1500 so it is the half ton squarebody and currently has a tbi 350 and a good 700r4 but I had to take some parts from it to rebuild my 87 truck a few years ago when it was stolen. So currently the suburban does not have exhaust, radiator, alternator, and other little odds and ends and I don't want to keep the tired drivetrain anyway. My intention is to use it for light to medium towing which in my bubble of life is anything from 2,000 to 10,000 lbs. I also need to build or buy a double axle trailer since I find myself needing more capacity to haul materials these days.

Last edited by jesdude7789; 12-23-2019 at 06:26 PM.
jesdude7789 is offline   Reply With Quote