View Single Post
Old 12-26-2019, 02:27 PM   #10
jesdude7789

Re: Diesel engine swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselSJ View Post
Seriously, if you are looking for 350ft/lbs of torque, why are you looking at diesels? Those are stock 6.2 non-turbo numbers. The 3 liter diesel in my BMW makes well over 400. You are really looking at 4bt numbers, and you can back it with a 700R4, 4L60E/4L80E (if you want to deal with electronics), or any 5 speed manual.I want at least 350 ft/lbs so more would be nice. I have wanted a diesel for a long time now and the 4bt seems to be the right choice. If I come across a 6bt or any other higher hp/tq engines then I will definitely consider them but the 4bt is lighter which is good for my suburban suspension. I am also looking to upgrade the suspension to 3/4 ton.

6.0 gasser will easily surpass those HP/TQ numbers and be a fairly easy drivetrain swap. From having done a diesel swap myself, there are A LOT of little things that come with changing from gas to diesel. As much of a fan as I am of diesels, I agree with Hatzie on this one that you should take a serious look at the 6.0 gasser. I will. Another 5.3 would do as well.

Towing 10K lbs on a 1/2 Burb chassis? It is possible that I would tow that much but not very often at all and not very far. You might want to rethink that. That 1/2 ton running gear also won't live long behind anything larger than a 4bt. I agree. Used axle upgrades will be needed. A Dmax/6bt/DT360 will blow the ring and pinion out of that rear end the first time you nail the throttle. I had to upgrade my Jeep to a 14bolt for that reason.
They say the higher gear ring and pinion are actually stronger than the low gear since it has the larger pinion but I do see your point.
I have abused my trucks 2.73 axle and it has actually never given me any problems which is amazing when I think about it.
jesdude7789 is offline   Reply With Quote