View Single Post
Old 12-27-2019, 07:54 PM   #61
landarts
landarts

Re: 68 Second Chance

After I put down coat number three of the filler primer I decided to try and knock out an item on the list while it was drying. About a month or so ago I was looking for an additional hubcap since the truck only had three on it. they were the period correct 68 caps that are silver and black with the red bowtie center. Well I did find one finally on Ebay and the patina was a very good match of what I already had on the truck so win win. After receiving it in the mail it was as if they pulled it off of my truck and resold it to me.......then I flipped it over and it was the nub style back. Well that will not work so I thought I would hold onto it and possibly later turn into a clock or some sort of wall hanger.

Then about a few weeks later had read a build thread where the guy had the same type of hubcaps and trimmed of the nub metal portion and rolled over the metal and made it work like the others. So I grabbed the two hubcaps, one for reference and the other to start cutting on. I used and air die grinder with a 3" metal cutting blade and went around it and left an additional 1/4" or so left over from the seam. After that I knocked down the burrs and grabbed an body shaping hammer and a lip dolly that I had and started hammering. Test fitted a few times, then hammered some more. After the third time hammering the metal over it was really close so I grabbed the rubber mallet and with a good tap or two it went right on.

Pretty pleased with the outcome and now that will be one more thing that I learned how to do and one more thing of the check list.
Attached Images

68 Second Chance
Fix and Sale 72 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 K2500
The "Fixrupr" build thread

72 Cheyenne 1/2 ton " FIXRUPR " - daily driver
67 C20 all original paint
71 K20 Custom 4x4 (Idaho Edition)
72 K20 GMC Super Custom 4x4
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
69 K10 Custom package 4x4 (69 K10 from the field)
72 K10 Custom
71 K10 Custom
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
72 K20 Crew Cab Project
71 GMC Jimmy CST
72 Blazer
70 Blazer
landarts is offline   Reply With Quote