View Single Post
Old 06-15-2004, 06:02 PM   #6
arveetek
Ultimate Diesel Dude

6-15-04 update:

On Saturday I got started with the install. As of last night, I now have the turbo mounted in the truck!

I started by removing my current exhaust system, removing the right hand side exhaust manifold, removing the mechanical fuel pump, removing the lower radiator hose, and installing the new Banks manifold.

The first problem I ran into was that the new Banks radiator hose wouldn't fit. I ordered the hose from Banks because their instructions say that I needed it to clear the crossover pipe. Well, since my truck is a converted from-gas-to-diesel truck, the radiator doesn't sit in exactly the same place....it's about 3 inches closer to the passenger side where it normally would be due to the a/c condenser lines coming in on the other side. The factory style hose has enough give to it to line up and work just fine. The Banks hose wouldn't even begin to fit. So I just left it off until I got the crossover pipe installed.

Next, I discovered that the turbo wouldn't bolt up to the manifold because it hit the inner wheel well! Looks like the Banks turbo sits up higher on it's mounting than this Garret turbo does. A block of wood and a sledge hammer allowed me to "massage" the inner fender to give me enough clearance. That problem was solved.

After setting the turbo on the manifold, I had to re-work my oil return. No biggie really. I ditched the mechanical fuel pump, got a block-off plate from the dealer, drilled a hole in the plate, and welded a 3/8" pipe fitting to the plate. I made the rest of the return system out of 3/8" steel pipe.

Next, I installed the electric fuel pump. No problem there.

Next, I installed the crossover pipe. Ran into another problem: the pipe Banks sent me was designed to bolt up to the EPR valve on the driver's side manifold. I lost that valve years ago. I thought it would still fit, but I lacked 1" of getting it to line up, due to the pipe hitting the motor mount. I ended up cutting the pipe and welding in a 1.5" section of pipe to make it longer. Got the crossover pipe installed.

Next, I was able to try the radiator hose again. I got a new factory style hose and it fit just fine. The clearance is tight to the crossover pipe, but with some heat-shielding, should be just fine. Anybody need a brand new Banks radiator hose?

Last thing I did last night was install the turbo permanently onto the manifold. Now I can start fabbing up the exhaust down pipe. I'm really surprised how low the turbo sits in the truck.....it rides right above the frame rail. It does sit lower than the Banks turbo would sit.

I've had to move some of my wiring to make room for the turbo, so I'll have to do a little re-wiring.

I'll probably do the wiring next, then fab up the down pipe, then install the oil feed line, and then start working on the pressure system. Still have to work out where to install the air cleaner.

I do have the pressure chamber in my hands now... machine shop made it for me out of 6" pipe and welded a top on it and a 2 3/8" pipe on the side to hook up my pressure pipes to. I could have made it myself, but I just didn't have time to track down all the pieces and weld it up. I also bought a nice looking 6.5L "Turbo Power" engine cover to dress it all up.

I'm making progress! It's a slow process, but it will be worth it! Having a complete kit from Banks would have been nice and much, much simpler, but I am saving so much money this way that it makes it worthwile, plus I'll have a very unique truck when I'm all done.

Casey