Thread: TA_C10: Stage 1
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2020, 02:29 PM   #504
TA_C10

Re: TA_C10: Stage 1

Update - Power Steering Return Line

From the beginning I had the idea fuel line, trans lines, and power steering would all be AN fittings and stainless steel hose. Everything went without a hitch until the return line from power steering. They don't make a braided rubber hose that will just slip on to the return line(I had -6 leftover and that didn't fit, neither did the ptfe). I already ordered the PFTE hose long enough to cover both feed and return. But the return line on pump is barbed with 3/8" in size and the pfte was much smaller and wouldn't slip on. In the middle of this I bought a hose clamp that looked like a AN fitting. So none of this was going to work.

Fast forward and I finally realized that the power steering pump return hard line was 3/8", so I ended up buying a 3/8" hard line to AN -6 fitting! Boom.

It just took a little extra work but I like how it turned out. If I ever have to replace the pump, I will modify it before installation and it will be an easy task. Of course I already installed my pump and returned the rental pulley puller/installer so I just did this on the truck.

Here is what I did:

The assembly. Hard line to AN -6 fitting. 90 degree ptfe fitting to fit my already purchased other end and hose I made. Otherwise you could use a cheaper/leftover rubber fuel or trans line with regular AN fittings.

Stuffed the line with piece of shop towel and cut the barb off the end with my body saw.

Chopped.

Deburred the line and sanded the paint off so the crush sleeve would slid on.

Made sure the crush sleeve fit and removed the towel with any shaving on top. Worked like a charm.

Fitting installed.

Here is final product. Power Steering done.

"It's only money".

Last edited by TA_C10; 01-02-2020 at 02:54 PM.
TA_C10 is offline   Reply With Quote