Thread: 327 pictures
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2020, 08:14 PM   #39
GerhardH

Re: 327 pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
FWIW, if you're referring to engine originality in your comment - it's worth noting that none of us can prove engine originality with certainty in this era of trucks with a VIN, SPID, or engine suffix code (unless one is THE original owner and knows it for a fact) - we can only decode after the fact that a particular engine "could have been original." VINs only tell us if a truck was originally equipped with a V8 or I6 - and SPID RPOs only highlight if an 'optional' engine in either of those categories was installed originally. Having said all that - because I don't completely trust all the decoding material floating around out there to be gospel, I'm inclined to agree with you that the engine is likely original - but I do show that VO316YV decodes to a 16 March Flint-built 68 327 for a C10 with a manual trans (whereas the SPID shows it was originally an automatic trans truck). I'd say it's too much of a coincidence to NOT be the original engine - but you just never know in this era before partial VINs were stamped on the engines.
jocko, as you told, it seems sometimes the decoders are not explicit or maybe wrong. Kindly I ask regarding the -YV codes, because as I have exactly the same constallation, 327 -YV with option M49 Turbo Hydramatic, see SPID:
Despite you will find often YV is m/t (manual transmision) according Chevrolet truck part catalog october 1969 is stated that -YV is 327 with 3speed automatic.

And maybe somebody can help me with a similiar problem:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=799432
Attached Images

Members met: 68 short step, 68bowtie, 72c20customcamper, botmfedr1, C/10 King, Chevyland, cornerstore, dmjlambert, fun in dirt, GMan69, Ol Blue K20
1968 CHEVROLET C20 Custom Camper 50th Anniversary, Long bed (LB) 8', 327 V8, Air Condition (AC), Power Steering (PS), Power Brake (PB), Z62 Custom & Comfort Appearance, Turbo Hydramatic TH 400
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=760400

Last edited by GerhardH; 01-12-2020 at 11:29 AM.
GerhardH is offline   Reply With Quote