View Single Post
Old 01-22-2020, 11:04 AM   #24
SCOTI

Re: trailing arms: Goodmark vs. ECE vs. OEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Do we know there is no flex, sounds like twisting is the key word here, with tubular/boxed design or just less? Are NASCAR arms two pieces of light channel tacked together or are they tubular? I realize roundy round on a race track at 200 mph has different requirements. Very limited requirements compared to road driving.

All I am saying is are the ECE trailing arms really such a bad idea that there is some significant negative affect on performance? Are they really a bad idea? Something we wouldn't want?
Torsional flex = twist; just like a steel beam. So some allowable flex along the length but not up/down or sideways bend for the OE arrangement. As far as NASCAR, I believe they are built similarly but welded along the seams vs spot welding like OE arms. Since I actually had an OE arm come apart that's been a standard (stitch welding the seams) once I started welding. On my high school ride, I found arms from a 3/4 ton truck that had the plates. Back then I thought that's why mine had failed (because someone removed the plates). I didn't know any better @ the time.

Are solid, tubular bars bad?

Do they work? Yes.
Are they a bad idea? If you know the OE arrangement was designed to achieve their articulation through torsional flex via the front rubber bushings & I-beam construction but delete both of those options from a replacement arm you either need another method that allows articulation or they will bind sooner than the OE stuff would. It's that simple.

Will the 'Average Joe' that occasionally putts around town notice? Probably not. But, that does not make them better.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote