View Single Post
Old 01-29-2020, 08:28 PM   #239
Vic1947

Re: 57 Chevy Wagon - Californa Dreamin'

I'm still banging away on the body work. Other than the roof, most of what's left are the nooks and crannies. I did spend a couple of days on other stuff like test fitting the A/C evaporator and reinstalling trim on the rear seats now that they're back from the upholstery shop.

The A/C kicked my butt a little. In my zeal to smooth out the firewall, I made a tactical error by closing up the area where the heater core originally sat. The A/C bracket that mounts the unit to the firewall has a tab on it that's meant to swing out thru the original large opening. With the opening blocked off, I was unable to fit the evaporator under the dash. So to fix the situation, I cut the tab off, welded in a couple of studs and then reinstalled the tab once the evaporator was in place. It's easiest to use the speaker opening in the dash to thread the nuts on, so I need to remember to get the evaporator in place early in the assembly process.

I plan to use the Vintage Air control panel instead of modifying the stock levers so I closed up the opening in the dash. I also modified the area where the radio sits to accept the center vents.
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote