View Single Post
Old 02-03-2020, 02:05 PM   #192
cruizin01

Re: '78 K20 to C10. Almost 20 years in the making.

Had a pretty good week/weekend. Last week I pulled the RH fuel rail off to find a cut oring. So that was an easy fix.

So Saturday morning I messed around and got a base calibration setup in the Holley. I started with a base tune that Matt Happel had posted. Timing worked out good because Holley just loaded all the fuel calibration stuff from the Snake Eater Performance injectors I had so that was easy. Then I just went through and picked out all my other sensors, etc.

You have to use the hand held to do a TPS autoset before you can do anything as far as starting goes. It kept failing on me for some reason. I got to thinking that I have a splitter for the TPS sensor so I can feed it to the trans Controller. I had issues with the sniper using that splitter. So I tore apart the harness and unplugged the splitter. TPS calibrated without any issues. Once I did that I was able to plug the trans back in and everything seems to work fine with it now. So I can keep the splitter. The trans uses TPS so it can adjust pressures inside the trans.

So the Holley Firmware and Software have to be close in proximity as far as updates. I used the Software on the laptop to try and get them matched up. It loaded but then the ECU couldn't be found. LONG story short I guess the splitter I use for the dash handheld and the computer together causes issues. So yeah splitters suck. lol.. I eventually got it and everything works fine.

Now it was TIME! ... well I did turn the engine over for a 30 seconds or so with no fuel pump to try and get some oil circulated. But then I plugged it back in for the first attempt at starting.

Hit the key and BOOM. Instantly fired up. Like right now! I wasn't expecting it. Normally there's always something Ive forgotten to do.

I cannot figure out how to imbed the video on this site. And yes I know I was holding the camera wrong. It was really just for a quick snap chat. Ill have plenty more coming soon.

https://youtu.be/0X73AiIpsIo

And yes it sounds like a tractor. The exhaust stops about at the back of the cab. So Im gonna rectify that shortly.

Just a few bugs I had to work out after getting it up and running.

-My Dakota Digital oil pressure gauge works fine but the stock GM sensor is reading zero. I even made a custom calibration to see if that would work and it didn't. So Ill replace it and see if that helps.

- The base throttle position was all out of whack. Its a cable driven throttle with an IAC sensor but requires an initial adjustment. Of course the set screw was kinda corroded and I ran out of adjustment so I had to remove the throttle to get it out. I cleaned it up and started the set screw in from the top and everything worked fine.

- I couldn't get the cooling system to bleed. I even used a vacuum bleeder but the engine kept getting to 225* but the lower hose was cold. I assumed the tstat wasn't opening. Eventually after I kept adding coolant to the radiator it all cleared up. Not it runs around *190-195. I need to play with the cooling fans yet.

- Im gonna have to redo my a2w coolant pump wiring. I thought wiring it to 12V accessory was a good idea but obviously it runs anytime the key is on and thats dumb so I have extra outputs on the Holley so Ill decide how I want it activated. Maybe under boost or once the IAT's get to a certain temperature? I dunno yet.

Anyway sorry for the book. Ill try and get more pics and video once I get the truck back on the ground and cleaned up.

Thanks for reading.