View Single Post
Old 02-05-2020, 07:16 PM   #585
Chopped53

Re: Our Trucks Doing What They Did - Vintage Photo Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Beautiful story! Seeing you with the come-a-long just about knocked me off my chair! What exactly were you doing?
The reason I say knocked me off my chair is I did something similar chopping my roof only it was because of a screw up, I am thinking you had a plan there. Anyway, I had no come-a-long, I had a few friends to stand on a rope I had tied to the right A pillar and out the window of the barn I was chopping it in tied to a fence post. My buddies stood on the rope to pull the pillar over! LOL I had welded the other side, then found that I had pulled the top over that way, so it had to go further to the right! LOL Yes, the windshields were cut from different patterns! The right A pillar had more of a slant to it. You could see it if you stood out front of the truck.

I wish to God I had a photo of that!

That is so damn cool you got to do that with your dad.

Brian
Brian,

Great story, but a magician should never reveal his secrets! What about the illusion that a chop job is a precision task performed by experts who know what they are doing every step of the way! Just kidding.

I was using the come-along to try to position the front posts for welding. If I recall, the back section was tack welded in place at the time. We took a different approach than your truck. Instead of adding a strip to the roof (like you're supposed to!), we angled the front posts back. It was meant to save us time and effort, but we had to hack the posts almost to bits before we could get a fit. The posts are now mostly welding rod material rather than original steel! I kinda like how it turned out, but I wouldn't do it that way again.

Thanks for sharing your story. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who had to take extreme steps to correct previous decisions. Hey, that might be a topic for a post: "a collection of our biggest screw-ups"!

Bill
Chopped53 is offline   Reply With Quote