Thread: 79 350 overhaul
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2020, 04:33 PM   #59
garyd1961

Re: 79 350 overhaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince1 View Post
I've had this thing running for a while now but don't like where the distributor sits. It seems to be the #1 wire either points straight ahead on the distributor cap or maybe at about 10 or 11 o'clock depending upon which gear tooth I line the distributor shaft with. Why can't I have #1 and #2 opposite each other perpendicular to the center line of the truck. Do they not grind the camshaft gear teeth in a particular location or is that just random. Otherwise I am quite happy with the cam. What I am saying is with the engine running nice I'd like the distributor to look symmetrical from one side to the other.
The centerline doesn't matter. With the # 1 piston top dead center on the "compression" stroke, put #1 terminal on distributor facing the #1 sparkplug and don't worry about where #2 is facing. The 1 sparkplug, the #1 on the cap and the rotor button should be in one line with each other. After adjusting the timing #1 terminal may not be directly facing the #1 plug either it's just a starting point.

Last edited by garyd1961; 02-13-2020 at 05:36 PM.
garyd1961 is offline   Reply With Quote