Thread: 47-55.1 Soffseal door rubber
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2020, 09:04 PM   #15
Zippi

Re: Soffseal door rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by e015475 View Post
I'm getting ready to put the door seals on my '49.

I tried to find the Soffseal door seals on their website, but couldn't so I gave them a call to see if they had a part number.

Soffseal says that PN 9971 is the original style seal for the door. It comes with a peel and stick adhesive. The cost is about $30 a pair. The Steele Rubber seal material is sold by the foot for about $6, and there's about 14' per side, so by the time you get it to your front door, it's about $170. Pretty spendy, so I'm hoping the Soffseal works!

From what I can tell, the Soffseal has 11/16" sealing lip - note that the longest lip goes to the outside of the door, not into the corner. The Filling Station and Brother's both have videos on Youtube that show the correct orientation of the seal (and both say that in the majority of instances, customers install the seal incorrectly)

I got kinda nerdy on this whole seal thickness business and found some modelling clay, rolled it into 3/4" balls and put them where the seals seat in the cab. I put them about 18" apart from the top of the window down to the floorboard and slammed the door shut. I carefully peeled out the clay and measured the crushed thickness where the seal would be, and found it varied from about .350" to .250". The 11/16" seal will need to crush about 50% but a Steele Rubber 7/16" seal would only crush about 15-20%.

I've got bearclaw latches and my doors shut pretty well, so I'm going to try the cheaper Soffseal foam seals.
It will be interesting to see how yours turns out. Keep us updated. If your doors shut ok and stops a lot of the noise I'm ordering the soft seal.
Zippi is offline   Reply With Quote