View Single Post
Old 02-24-2020, 12:30 PM   #10
hairball

Re: How many miles is too many?

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddstir View Post
I found a 2012 chevy truck for sale, it's a long bed crew cab 2500 6.0 4x4.
Has 199,xxx.x miles for $7999.00. Looks fairly clean for something around my area (rust wise) but has a few dings and dents. If I had to guess I'd say it was and old service truck.
I prefer long bed trucks so that's my draw to it, crew cab I could do without but it's not a turnoff either. I drive 4 miles one way to work and put maybe 50 extra miles on that week going elsewhere. So must of my vehicles die becouse of rust and not mileage.
So my question is - does that truck have tomany miles for the price Or for the life expectancy of drivetrain?
Any input at all is appreciated. Thanks
P.s. I also take trips throughout the summer driving around 5 to 7 hrs one way (sometimes pulling a small trailer too).
As others have posted, good maintenance is the key factor in a high mileage vehicle. Be sure to obtain all service and repair records from the owner. If they can't produce them I'd walk away. Spend a few dollars and have the truck inspected by a certified mechanic before you buy it. A well maintained high mileage truck could have a lot of life left in it. Also consider doing a Carfax on it.
hairball is offline   Reply With Quote