View Single Post
Old 02-26-2020, 12:07 PM   #1
justa dumb hick

The Family-Room find

I guess you’d havta call this one a family room find. Kinda like a “barn-find”, but the poor old 1964 C-10 was dying a slow death in my family room, albeit a pleasantly climate controlled demise. Story goes like this: about 25 years ago I moved into this house with a 2 car garage. I had way too many old cars/projects and needed a place to put the nicer ones in a hurry. Since I don’t have a family, I certainly didn’t need a family room. So I knocked a big hole in the family room wall, installed a garage door, and stuck the old truck in there and sorta forgot about it. Well, the story is always the same, years of life’s infinite mysteries and demands got in the way… along with 25 years of accumulated crap, and that brings us to today.

My apologies, I can get a little wordy at times, so if you get t’feeling yer losing precious minutes of your life that ya ain’t gonna get back, then quit readin’ this drivel and go do something productive.

Anyhow… where was I? Oh yeah, I retired a year or so back and started building myself a little shack up in the mountains to escape this damn desert heat. I’ve been using the woman’s Grand Cherokee as my work truck, but the girly thing won’t take a full 4X8 sheet of plywood… and the “pretty” Jeep was beginning to show damaging results of my blue-collar construction efforts (uhm… that tear in the head-liner really pissed her off). So I started looking around for a gently used truck or a small trailer to pull with one of my tired, worn out old cars. A few weeks ago as I was stacking more crap on the old truck it occurred to me: “You dumb hick! Ya got a fine truck sittin’ right there!” Well, I ran a mechanical to-do list in my head and decided it wouldn’t take much to get ‘er back on the road. The first dilemma would be better brakes. Remember the part about where I’m building my little ol’ shack? Yep- in the mountains, with numerous 6% grades both ways.

Dang… this is takin’ waaay to long, sorry folks. Well, Since I don’t know nuthin’ about these old trucks I did a quick search on the internet for 1964 C10 disc brake conversions and found yore lil’ ol website dedicated to old Chevy trucks. Hopefully I can root around in here and find a simple way to retrofit front disc brakes in order to prevent a violent downhill parting-out of said C-10. Success in that mechanical endeavor will most likely lead to additional research into power-steering, trailer hitch, etc. provided your patience will endure my learning curve of questions.

Well, that’s the truck. And me? I’m justa dumb hick, nothing too exciting there. I’m guessin’ pictures of it’s pending extraction from the tomb would be nice, but I’ve no idea how to add those.

-JDH (Insomnia is a terrible thing to waste)
justa dumb hick is offline   Reply With Quote