View Single Post
Old 02-27-2020, 08:51 AM   #57
special-K
Special Order

Re: Stopped by the ford dealership

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul View Post
No. But I burned my leg on my Harley at a barbecue (how appropriate) I rolled up and was so busy running my mouth that when I got off the bike I had neglected to put the kickstand down. It fell right on me. I was lucky there were people there to lift the bike off me. That bike was heavy. And that pipe was burning hot. I was wearing shorts and my leg was medium rare.

But I did meet a cute girl there. So WTF.
I always wear boots and jeans to ride, and ask the same of the goils. But I was at a swap meet during the Myrtle Beach bike rally and there was this booth with "Foxy Boxers" where you'd pay to sit in a chair with on your leg for a picture. I said I want a picture but I'm pulling my bike up. I pulled up and all three hopped on. The one who was on the tank (nice smudges left on the tanks) facing me with her feet on the footboards burned her cute little leg on the exhaust. It was all fun until that happened as she climbed off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
I don't personally know a single person who's bought a regular cab truck in the last 20yrs at least. That's why they stopped.
This is what annoys me about people. Such monkey see monkey do trend followers. Ford and Dodge were making ext cabs in the '70s and it was mostly only horse people and RV haulers who bought them. GM didn't make those because they had the Crewcab and Suburban. The Suburban has been around since the '30s. If you needed a back seat, cargo space (6'), and towing capability you could buy a Suburban. But they were never that popular for general family use. There were the full-size K5s, Broncos, Ramchargers, and Traildusters for people who wanted a truck type vehicle that could carry a small family and didn't really need a fullsize bed, yet could tow and they sold a limited amount of those (compared to today's no-need truck market). And let's not forget Vans with all the comforts and hauling ability. There were station wagons that could haul an RV trailer or a boat, but they became uncool and production dropped out on those. Then came the mini-van as a more useful design that used less fuel. Those took over with families until a stigma of uncoolness was attached to them. This came after the event of the 4dr SUV. This brought families to the SUV world. This was a little after GM went to ext cabs, which were available with a shortbed. Then came the crewcab shortbeds. By now most pickups sold were to people who didn't really need one (true, have one and you will find them handy at times), more for the image. Now we have families, people with shiny shoes, soft clean hands, living in cities driving pickups more as a car than a truck, and they need a back seat. I remember when it was only country bumpkins you'd see with the family crowded into the pickup to come into town and the people who drive the $60k trucks today were looking down their noses at the hicks who don't even have a car. It's no secret the emphasis on truck sales has not been to the working man for a long time and now we are coming full circle to where the truck being about hauling cargo with space for the operator and a helper has changed to being a vehicle with a backseat that can haul more than shopping bags or luggage. And... you have contractors now running shortbed ext cabs with a ladder rack to haul a 24' ladder or 12' lumber that could be laid nicely in the bed of a longbed. Try carrying a 24' walkboard and pump jack poles on a ladder rack with 6' base for mounting.

For me trucks are for work and fun. For passengers I've always had a Suburban and a Blazer or Jimmy

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote