Thread: Budget 5.3 Swap
View Single Post
Old 02-29-2020, 10:06 AM   #9

Re: Budget 5.3 Swap

First off....guard on the weekends...thank u for your service.
Either way u go u will blow that 2k to 3k budget. Forget the motor for just a second and let's look at the total of what u have. The rear end will need an upgrade. U will need a kit which will give u the seals,r&p crush sleeve and bearings. U can't really take any advantage of that tranny till u do. That 3:07 gear is somewhat of an over drive n it's self. Neither motor is gonna do what u want with that gear back there. For what u want vs the money u have the 350 makes more sense to me. No computer needed,most of what u will need can b found at the local pats store or online by a number of vendors. The machine work needed is mostly the same so I would b surprised at a real difference n cost. The 5.3 can make more power but it will cost more due to all the electronices involved. U can carb it which will help balance the difference. Both engines will want the same size so no winner on either.the 5.3 will need the edelbrock carb set up. U can find a used 1 on eBay,or Facebook mkt place. Which ever 1 u pick, sell the other 1 off to help with the funds of the keeper. The ls is nice and making 400 is easy with it but I'm looking at all the other things on that wish list that u will need to get that "torque moster" u crave.
3767 is offline   Reply With Quote