View Single Post
Old 03-04-2020, 12:10 PM   #79
1976gmc20

Re: Stopped by the ford dealership

We've hauled lots of stuff in our Suburban, except I don't put dirty and loose stuff in there like firewood or hay. I've hauled fence posts and roofing materials and stuff like that back from town. But it's a 1991 Square Body that you can fold everything down flat and completely take out the third seat. But the newer ones aren't really fit for that; you might break the back seat TV screens

And yeah, when you live way out where we do you absolutely have to have more than one vehicle (and you keep the gas tanks full!). Anything no matter how new can break down or suddenly fail to start and sometimes you need to go to town right now. If one of us goes somewhere, we don't want to leave the other at home without a vehicle ready to go, which means we need to keep at least one of the extras dug out of the snow and started within recent memory.

In 2008 we got our "first car" because of gas prices after driving nothing but pickups and suburbans (and Trucks!) for decades. It's great for fuel economy but sucks for most every other purpose. The first few years we didn't even break even with all the extra costs vs the gas savings. I've come to the conclusion that it's just not worth it for us. I want to buy a nice lwb pickup that we can travel and stop and sleep in the back. Just saving on motel costs would pay for extra gas, and then it would be a 4wd so we could actually drive it all year long instead of leaving it sit parked for four to six months in the winter/spring. But I would still have at a minimum a "ranch truck" and the Jeep just for a local runabout. I don't see where a crew cab pickup fits in anywhere. If our kids and grandkids are out here visiting, then they all still wouldn't fit anyway.
1958 Chevy C-60; 1965 GMC C-50; 1965 Chevy C-10; 1971 Chevy K-10; 1973 Chevy K-20; 1976 GMC C-20; 1977 Chevy C-10 Suburban; 1980 Chevy K-10; 1989 Chevy K1500; 1991 GMC V1500 Suburban; 2016 Chevy K2500 HD

Other vehicles: 1988 Jeep XJ; 2011 Toyota 4Runner
1976gmc20 is offline   Reply With Quote