View Single Post
Old 03-08-2020, 05:54 PM   #359
Gregski
Post Whore

Re: HP Tuners Tutorials - Idle Tuning

Idle Tuning - MAF & Dynamic Airflow

So once again I went out and got us some numbers. Now this is a bit of a tangent but the point I am trying to make is that your Mass Airflow, your Dynamic Airflow and your Idle Desired Airflow should all match. If they don't you got issues. At this time we are just doing this as a sanity check to avoid any glaring anomalies!

If there's a small difference of like 5 pounds or less then most likely your Idle Air Control IAC (valve, motor, thingmajig) needs to be calibrated (I may do a separate write up on that) as a general rule of thumb if desired airflow > dynamic airflow you will want to increase the IAC numbers in the IAC Steps vs. Effective Area table. If desired airflow < dynamic airflow you want to lower the numbers in that table.

If you are way off by like half then perhaps you or someone else decided to turn the throttle blade adjustment screw on your throttle body and your airflow is now way off. Just as a point of reference the throttle blade adjustment screw is screwed in from underneath up, with an allen wrench, as a starting point you should only see two threads peaking out the top of that screw hole, any more then that for a stock engine and you are opening up the throttle blade too much. Seldom is there a need to mess with this screw on a stock engine. And don't get me started on drilling holes in the throttle blade, LOL!
Attached Images

Last edited by Gregski; 03-09-2020 at 03:48 PM.
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote