View Single Post
Old 03-19-2020, 05:11 PM   #265
Vic1947

Re: 57 Chevy Wagon - Californa Dreamin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by knomadd View Post
Gotta love aftermarket sheet metal. I bought new fenders for the C10 so I didn't have to fix the rust in the factory ones, but the aftermarket stuff fit like such garbage, it'd be less work to just fix the factory parts. I wound up using the aftermarket fenders for a desk in my office.

I'm sure I'd have spent as much time working on them as you have if my factory stuff weren't as nice (decent is probably more like it) as they are. I feel your pain though. Keep it up, you're doing great!
Thanks, Duane! As you can see, I'm hard at work modifying OEM pieces to fit these fenders. Read on for more sheetmetal misery...

After making a couple of patterns, I decided to do what most of the Tri-Five guys have done and cut off the front section of the air duct. I tacked in a block off plate for the sake of appearance and to make it more rigid. Used brushable seam sealer to close up the gaps and painted it flat black. Had to grind off some of the lip on the fender and slot the mounting holes slightly to get the headlight bucket to fit. But it allowed me to test fit the headlight bezel and the grille surround trim. As they say down in Texas where we lived for many years, "Fit like a saddle on a sow." But they were close enough for starters.
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote