Thread: Wife's 48
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2020, 06:14 PM   #456
8man

Re: Wife's 48

Thanks Joe.

Well another day in the shop. So it was a good day, even though I didn't get much done.

I took some measurements prior to cutting out the rusted out chunk of the drivers side firewall.
IMG_0458 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr

This is what I was left with.
IMG_0459 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr

Then I started fitting the floor panel in place. These things don't fit very well! About 2 hours of fitting, cutting and grinding and it fits pretty well. Ignore that piece of angle laying on the pans, I was just looking for level.
IMG_0460 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr

So I sat and stared for the longest and finally I came in the house to check prices and availability of firewalls. There are just so many holes in the drivers side it's not funny, and the riders side is just as bad. I have NO idea what the PO was doing with all of those holes! I found a "stock" firewall at Classic Parts for $380 shipped to me. Right now I'm leaning toward that.

But before I do, please tell me what I'm missing on replacing the firewall. I have to drill out some spot welds on both sides and along the top. Then plug weld the new one in place unless I want it slick and then I'll have to weld it solid so it can be finished.

Before I take the old one out I need to cross brace to hold the cab in place until I can get it out and in. Will 1x1 square tube work for the cross brace?

The new floor pans will need to be cut down and flanged so they can be spot welded to the bottom flange on the new firewall.

How well does a reproduction firewall fit? Is there an option to get one that will fit better or are they all "cut, grind and re-fit until your are happy with it"?

I'm not lowering the truck, I'll be using the tall cab mounts, so I don't think I'll need a lot of engine clearance.

So what are the thoughts?
Build thread: "]http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=746899&highlight=wife%27s+48[/URL]
[/URL]http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=840204
8man is offline   Reply With Quote