View Single Post
Old 03-31-2020, 02:07 AM   #7
SavageC20

Re: Help Me Wire Up A Siren

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
Disclaimer: I have not done this. This is what I would try.

Wear hearing protection, safety glasses, remove jewelry, wear gloves, and have a fire extinguisher handy.
Disconnect the negative terminal of the battery.
Begin with disconnecting the relay from the siren and use jumper cables to connect the battery to the siren and see if it works.

Is the Ford relay marked on the terminals I, S, BAT, and STR?
If so, connect the BAT terminal to the battery + with a 12 or 10 gauge wire and a 20 amp fuse or circuit breaker in line.
Do not connect I to anything.
Connect your switch output to S.
Connect STR to the siren + terminal.
Make sure the siren and the ford relay are screwed down to bare metal for a good ground.
If the siren has a ground terminal, make sure that is connected to ground.

Before connecting the battery, tap the terminal end against the post and make sure you don't get sparks.
Connect the battery terminal loosely and have somebody tap the horn button. If something goes wrong, pull that battery terminal off the post.

I have verified that the siren functions when I connect a jumper wire from the positive battery post to the large post on the drivers side of the ford solenoid.

The ford solenoid is marked I, s, bat, and str.

Am I correct in saying that the ford solenoid will be carrying most of the current not the switch or horn relay?

I just want to make sure that the horn relay and switch won't get "fried" before I hook it up.
SavageC20 is offline   Reply With Quote