View Single Post
Old 04-01-2020, 08:33 AM   #227
rs74

Re: Project Snowball- Slow build

UPDATE. I have changed gears a bit on my shortbed. Instead of moving forward with the cab I have I decided to find a nice donor truck. I have been looking off and on for a donor for a while as an option to get moving on this project. About a month ago I found this 87 longbed on Marketplace. Originally a Tennessee truck that was solid and had very nice interior which was a must have criteria for a donor. So two weeks ago I drove down and bought it.

I am very pleased with the overall condition of it other than the paint. There are only three things I wished it would have came factory with. A V8, overdrive and a tilt column but those things can be changed later if I decide. It has a good running fuel injected 4.3 with a three speed automatic. I drove it back home four hours with no issues. Someone lowered it by cutting the front springs and put a lowering shackle in the rear which when they did that they notched out a crossmember in the bed so the shackle would recess into it. It rides pretty rigid they way it is setup.

My plan is to remove the cab and frontend as a whole unit. Pull the engine/transmission, transfer the fuel system over to my shortbed frame. I have new tanks and sending units in the shortbed that painted but they are for a carbed engine si have ordered all new efi tanks, pumps, and sending units along with a new stainless brake line kit for a shortbed. Parts will start arriving Saturday I hope and hopefully start the swap next week. I am hoping to have it finished up and going in a months time. For now I am keeping the 4.3 although I do have a 5.3 and 6.0 waiting to be put in something. If that happens then it will be after it gets painted. Which the original paint idea has probably changed so I have to figure that out as well. Here are just a few pics of the donor. More to come. After 6 years of sitting I am finding some new motivation on this ol girl.
Attached Images

1987 R10 shortie
rs74 is offline   Reply With Quote