View Single Post
Old 04-01-2020, 07:10 PM   #280
Vic1947

Re: 57 Chevy Wagon - Californa Dreamin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by regan wilson View Post
Looks like fun Vic. As far as a Drag Strip around here? Our track Interstate 20 Dragway has been gone since the late 80's.
Years ago when we lived in Houston and ran a S/G car, we made plans to race at Tyler (I-20) but seemed like every time we did, it rained out. So I never got the chance to make a pass there. Went to a lot of tracks back then, some of which are no longer in operation... Porter, TX, the old Houston International down by LaMarque, Green Valley up by Fort Worth just to name a few. Made my last pass in 1984 if that tells you anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2 View Post
Nice exhaust kit! I'm sure you'll make it look great!
Thanks, Scott. I've gotten a bit sidetracked with small projects and have yet to start laying out the exhaust. Both the oil and trans dipsticks needed to be shortened, which is easier said than done. I guess the folks that designed the ones I have wanted you to be able to check the fluid levels without having to lean over the fender. The oil dipstick is now underneath the header tubes and requires that I pull the spark plug boot above it for access. The trans dipstick now sits just behind the cylinder head instead of snaking way over the top of the injector rail. Both are hardened steel which meant I had to drill the holes for the retaining pins with a carbide drill. But, it's finally done.

The dust shield for the flexplate is another issue I'm dealing with. The one they sent me is for a manual trans setup and won't clear the Mast Motorsports pan. Plus the holes meant for bolting it to the bell housing are not at all like what I have. I think the 4L70E trans that came from Performance Automatics is a hodgepodge of parts. The bell housing is most likely from a 5.3L Vortec truck. In fact, I had to machine a press-in mounting boss for the trans dipstick because there's no corresponding threaded hole in the 6.2L block.

You can see the difference between the dust shield I received and the pattern I made that follows the actual contours of the bell housing and oil pan. Moroso makes one a bit more generic than mine, so obviously others have had this problem. I made a quick trip to the metal store this afternoon to pick up some .090 aluminum sheet to use with my pattern. Had to call in the order and when I arrived, there were no vehicles in the parking lot. They had a phone number posted by the door where you pick up. Called it and they came out and loaded my stuff into the back without me having to get out. Weird ...but necessary I reckon. So tomorrow I can whittle out the dust cover and then there's no other excuse I can use for delaying the exhaust fabrication.
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote